> I just want you to stop there
>
> On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 2:07 PM Strainu <strain...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That's one way to put it. I would rather say that we reacted to yet
>> another slip-up in communication from the Foundation.  Why is it so
>> hard for you guys to push the information to wikis?
>>
>> Why is this related to WMF?

For 3 reasons:
1. While MW is open source, what gets deployed on the WMF servers is
the legal and moral responsability of the Foundation.
2. The WMF has an 8-person "Community Liaisons" team that is dedicated
to "inform the communities during the whole process of development of
said software, and facilitate its adoption." [1] For me, that means
that they should be the ones that make sure that changes that impact
million of pages don't get left out, even if the developer forgets to
notify anyone.
3. The average wikipedian does not seem to make the difference between
volunteer developers and employees of the WMF (this is a personal
opinion and I might be wrong).

> Do you really want to compare this to something like
> MediaViewer rollout?

MediaViewer, VisualEditor and many others, yes. But not in the sense
that this was as bad as those, rather that the WMF missed another good
opportunity to establish trust and prepare for the next big feature.

Small, almost invisible changes are the best time to practice and
experiment with notifications and to gauge the community response: how
many communities actually made changes to Common.css? How many needed
to make changes? For the ones that did not make the changes, was it
because they did not have the knowledge or because they missed the
memo? Etc, etc, etc... This way, we (the "tech abassadors"), you
(developers) and them (community liaisons) can all be better prepared
for the next big deployement.

Strainu

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Liaisons