I think at this point Mediawiki's frontend stack and its dependencies on RL
and supporting user gadgets don't lend itself well to frameworks like React
or Vue.  With regards to moving away from jQuery UI your path of least
resistance inside MediaWiki feels like it might be to use a library such as
Redux for managing your state and OOjs UI for rendering the UI components.

Frameworks by definition provide you with rules and constraints to prevent
you from writing code in bad ways leading you to easier to work with code.
The MediaWiki ecosystem doesn't do well with constraints - it's about
experimenting.

That aside, I'm curious if you have considered a different approach. One
big issue we commonly see in the reading web team in working with
MobileFrontend and our apps team who depend on our APIs is that the lines
of model and view get blurred frequently. There are certain things our API
doesn't do and that we workaround in PHP code - the only place we can do
this. I was a little worried about this, so as a side project I explored
how difficult it was to render the existing mobile site without MediaWiki's
PHP layer.  I built a progressive web app (PWA) using React (just a
personal preference but any framework could be used to do the same). The
result is deployed on labs: https://trending.wmflabs.org
and the code on Github: https://github.com/jdlrobson/weekipedia

At first, this may seem like a lot of work but it wasn't. I reused Mediawiki
 code where possible (packaging up into npm libraries) and what I found was
feature development became extremely easy the more that I implemented as
reuse was extremely useful within the framework.

The React web app now has feature parity with the mobile site - it looks th
esame, you can login support via OAuth (thanks to the awesome work from Gergő
Tisza and co), there's i18n support
<https://trending.wmflabs.org/he.wikipedia/%D7%99%D7%A9%D7%A8%D7%90%D7%9C?uselang=he>,
you can edit.... you can view history/diffs etc etc... we've been using it
for user testing. Since things got so easy I even got carried away and
built features I've wanted forever ;-) [1]:

If I exclude the time I spent improving Mediawiki REST APIs to support this
app I reckon building this took about a month of work (and that wasn't even
full time). Yes, the solution had many trade-offs... My app cannot run
gadgets or CSS/JS from the Mediawiki namespace and certain pages which
require additional JavaScript e.g. maps/pages with math do not load that Js
- but I see those problems as easily solvable and I value the benefits I
experienced through working within a well-documented framework...

So I'm curious... for something like Wikidata which is so different from
standard Mediawiki instances =(the rendering and editing experiences are
fundamentally different) what's stopping you from adding a layer on top of
the stack and using Mediawiki as a black box for storage and API... at
least as an alternative editing experience?

Having complete APIs and enabling our future and present community members
to be able to build things like this easily should be our goal as engineers.

It's worth pointing out that Chrome has plans to allow developers to
package web apps as installable APKs (see
https://joreteg.com/blog/installing-web-apps-for-real). What this means is
with a bit of configuration I could update my PWA to override all visits to
Wikimedia domains and steal traffic. I think when this happens lots of
developers will be jumping on this opportunity. This is great for
distributing our knowledge, not so good about keeping a unified experience
for all our visitors. I'd rather we were ahead of that trend rather than
lagging behind.

Happy to chat more if you find this conversation interesting. I've covered
a lot here... :)
[1] e.g.
* infinite random -  https://trending.wmflabs.org/en/wiki/Special:Random
* the trending work turned into a REST API that we're still experimenting
with and offline support.
* cross-wiki search -
https://trending.wmflabs.org/en.wikiquote/Special:Search/San%20Francisco

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017, 5:06 a.m. Jan Drewniak, <jdrewn...@wikimedia.org>