On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 12:56 AM, Alexandros Kosiaris <
akosia...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I also don't think you need RESTBase as long as you are willing to
> wait for parsoid to finish parsing and returning the result.

Apart from performance, there is also functionality that is missing without
RESTBase:

   - Diffs are going to contain a lot of extra changes (commonly called
   "dirty diffs"), as no original HTML or data-parsoid is available to
   Parsoid's selective serialization algorithm. This might make it difficult
   to review changes.
   - Switching between wikitext and visual editing won't work.
   - Visual editing in general will very likely stop working once we reduce
   the size of HTML by separating out metadata (see
   https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T78676). We keep pushing this back due
   to a lack of resources, but it is still planned, and might happen within
   the next six months.

In short, using Parsoid directly for visual editing is an unsupported
configuration, and is likely to stop working altogether in the foreseeable
future.

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 7:10 AM, James Montalvo <jamesmontal...@gmail.com>
 wrote:

> I've read through the documentation I think you're talking about. It's kind
> of hard to determine where to start since the docs are spread out between
> multiple VE, Parsoid and RESTBase pages. Installing RESTBase is, as you
> say, straightforward (git clone, npm install, basically). Configuring is
> not clear to me, and without clear docs it's the kind of thing that takes
> hours of trial and error.

The RESTBase install instructions
<https://github.com/wikimedia/restbase#installation> point to a fairly
well-commented example documentation file:
https://github.com/wikimedia/restbase/blob/master/config.example.yaml

For a basic install, all you should need is adjust the lines marked with
XXX in there. The default backend will use SQLite. Cassandra offers better
scalability and distribution for large scale, but this is not likely
something you need. A single SQLite-backed RESTBase instance and a single
Parsoid instance should be all you need.

We are aware of the complexity of setting up a fully featured MediaWiki
system, and are working on a Kubernetes-based solution right now (see
https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-containers/blob/k8s/README.k8s.md
for current work in progress). The early prototype already sets up
MediaWiki, VisualEditor, RESTBase, Parsoid, Math, as well as other services
like EventBus. The current work is primarily aimed at development and
testing, but we expect it to also offer a quick way to spin up a complete &
fully-featured containerized MediaWiki system for small installs.

Hope this helps,

Gabriel