Alexandre Julliard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> ChangeLog:
>>     Implementation of RtlUnicodeToMultiByteN, RtlUnicodeToOemN,
>> RtlOemToUnicodeN, RtlMultiByteToUnicodeN using internal tables.
>
>I don't think building the tables at run-time is a very good idea. It
>eats lots of memory, and the way you did it, it is impossible to have
>two Unicode chars map to the same ASCII value (not to mention that it
>doesn't support DBCS). I'd suggest building the tables at compile time
>from some kind of definition file, and store them in separate files
>that we can mmap on demand.

Hello.

Returning to the internal Unicode support.
Let discuss it more closer. I would not like to spend time for nothing.

I didn't understand yours "it is impossible to have two Unicode chars map
to the same ASCII value". Would you say it more popular please?

I am agreed with you that having tables in files on disk is a more convenient
way. But now the problem arises with file format. I propose to use NT's NLS
file format because of:

1. Such functions as RtlCustomCPToUnicodeN and RtlUnicodeToCustomCPN (which
I propose to use in x11drv to support fonts that have encodings different
from Unicode/ANSI/OEM/Mac) have very strong dependence and will be never
implemented without that.

2. Binary compatibility is not bad too.

I spent quite much time to understand NT's file format and possibilities
to generate such files from unicode.org's .txt files. NT's NLS files have
quite simple format according to Ove's investigations, information gathered
from Internet and my own tests. However, I have problems with DBCS NLS-files
and with understanding of unicode.org's .txt for DBCS. Of course, we could
use as source of information not unicode.org, but NT4 or NT2000 NLS files.
(I have plenty of them) But how legal is it? (Of course that tables will
be in some *.c or *.h file and would never be associated with the source
of information).

Now question about process of generation. When to generate files? In the
compile time or in process of "make install"? I propose the second one. But
due to the latest debates in the newsgroup about install script it seems
that not all like to use it.

More questions:
How at run time to locate and load generated NLS files?
Who can add support for DBCS and Unicode fonts to x11drv or help with it?

And the very important for me:
I can write conversion/generation utility, but I am not able to mess with
make files and I need help with it.

Any comments, suggestions?

Dmitry.