We have our internal network infrastructure group (they run phone & data
wiring under "contract" to us) install the AP at the same time they run the
wiring. They terminate one end at the AP and the other end in our patch
panel in the comm closet. When they are done, a second group comes behind
them and patches the AP into our mid-span PoE device (PowerDsine) and from
there into the switch. They then configure the PoE device (only an AP name
is added on the port used) and the switch (proper DOT1Q VLAN and port
description). This group then notifies me to do the setup of the AP (Cisco
WiSMs and Airwave AMP). This usually just involves changing the AP
(actually, a Light Weight unit) to use a static IP address (it gets a DHCP
address to get started), assign it the name we want, and put it in the
proper AMP group so it gets associated with the proper WiSM controller.
Normal start to finish time is listed as 3-5 days. Rush jobs can be handled
in much less.

New building design (as well as installations in existing buildings) is done
entirely from AutoCAD drawings. New buildings drawing files are supplied by
the architects. Older building drawing files come from our internal
facilities folks, if they have them (and they have most). If they don't have
them, we have scanned in some drawings that were produced from actual
building measurements a while back that were intended to make "you are here,
emergency exit this way" signs for the fire safety folks. We then used
AutoCAD to place our APs on a 50' diagonal grid covering the entire
building. Some adjustments need to be made for high use areas (eg,
classrooms where we expect a lot of wireless users in a small space) and to
make accommodations for architectural oddities (eg, glass walls, extremely
high ceilings, special/need-to-be kept-pretty spaces). So far, we have not
had any coverage holes. And, the WiSMs report the APs running at, or one
level below, max power on all radios (a/b/g now, adding n starting now).

Also, new building wiring and AP installation are done after the comm closet
is secure but before the drop ceiling grids are installed.

And, as an aside, we have only had five APs stolen since we started
installations years ago. And, those were before we starting putting small
locks on each unit. In addition to the locks, we put the APs in the dorms in
student rooms (rather than on the other side of the wall in a public hall,
if possible, based on our AutoCAD layout) so we could charge the occupant
for damage or loss. In other buildings we just put them where the design
says to put them.

-jcw

John Watters    UA: OIT  205-348-3992