We are a NetEnforcer from Allot. I allows traffic shaping based on subnet, VLAN, protocol, time of day, etc. Additionally, their management server, NetXplorer, is fairly easy to use and provides data back on network utilization. Its actually very handy to have for planning as well.

--
Heath Barnhart
Asst. Systems and Networking Admin

Jason Appah wrote:
Also on the subject, do you all cap per user bandwidth? We recently reconstructed our dorms, and began support of the resnet (before the recession they had their own foot soldiers taking care of it ).The old resnet had a hodge podge of homegrown bandwidth caps tools that they used to limit people from excessive downloading (essentially anyone who downloaded more that 10 Gig a month).
We are currently looking into continuing to do this but were split as to
whether or not it is an antiquated process. We would like to purchase a
standards based tool but have been unable to located one that works on a large
scale.

1) What do people use who do bandwith cap?
2) Do you Bandwith Cap? Why or Why Not?