From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[wireless-...@listserv.educause.edu] On Behalf Of Jason Appah
[jason.ap...@oit.edu]
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2009 12:54 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] BW capping

Also on the subject, do you all cap per user bandwidth?

We recently reconstructed our dorms, and began support of the resnet (before
the recession they had their own foot soldiers taking care of it ).The old
resnet had a hodge podge of homegrown bandwidth caps tools that they used to
limit people from excessive downloading (essentially anyone who downloaded more
that 10 Gig a month).

We are currently looking into continuing to do this but were split as to
whether or not it is an antiquated process. We would like to purchase a
standards based tool but have been unable to located one that works on a large
scale.

1) What do people use who do bandwith cap?
2) Do you Bandwith Cap? Why or Why Not?