From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Sessler
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:04 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Betr.: [WIRELESS-LAN] Gigabit Wi-Fi

An auditorium with an 8-antenna 802.11ac AP running a 160Mhz channel, with
nearly 7Gbps aggregate bandwidth, sounds pretty interesting to me.

We have faculty that have students downloading a lot of information during
class, so even in smaller 12-25 person classrooms, the added bandwidth means
less time it getting the information, and more time spent teaching.

I also suspect that Apple will adopt the new standard in their laptops and
desktops, so there is the chance you'll see 802.11ac capable devices within the
next 12 months, and given that Apple's student share here at my campus is now
~75%, that translates into a lot of 802.11ac capable devices.

Jeff

>>> On Tuesday, January 10, 2012 at 12:35 PM, in message
>>> <943da0e70434ca499ad0088fb90eaade0e5...@suex10-mbx-05.ad.syr.edu<mailto:943da0e70434ca499ad0088fb90eaade0e5...@suex10-mbx-05.ad.syr.edu>>,
>>>  Lee H Badman <lhbad...@syr.edu<mailto:lhbad...@syr.edu>> wrote:
Just as important as the high throughput is the better quality cells, the
ability of MIMO to handle multipath, band steering and other features that make
for a better radio cell with 11n. Wide channels in 5 GHz for 11n are a safe
bet- there is usually enough channels to burn 40 MHz without penalty. But 80
MHz and 160 MHz for 11ac 500 Mbps and Gig speeds? Sounds more consumer-oriented
than enterprisey right now to me.

Lee H. Badman
Wireless/Network Engineer
Information Technology and Services