From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Vlade Ristevski
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2014 1:37 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Wireless in Dorms

Also forgot to mention that you can look at TTL in the IP packets as an
indicator of a NAT router. Routers are required to decrement the TTL so that's
another possible method of detection.

On 10/16/2014 11:40 AM, Hunter Fuller wrote:

If the user connects a home gateway box (or anything else doing PAT) then the
university equipment will only see one MAC and one IP, unfortunately :(
On Oct 16, 2014 10:36 AM, "Justin Pederson"
<justinpeder...@caspercollege.edu<mailto:justinpeder...@caspercollege.edu>>
wrote:
From a technical standpoint, why not just use port security on you wired
networks to only allow 1 MAC address at a time. There should be no rouge APs
and the students could still use the wireless and wired networks. I have been
rolling this around in my head for a little while now. The only thing you
should have to cover is cellular tethering, but from my experience, most of
these devices don't have much power behind the radio.

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 9:13 AM, Ian McDonald