I've never known a NAT gateway to send BPDUs out of its WAN port, and so
I've never seen BPDU guard work in this scenario.

When these home gateways first came out, the cable ISPs only allowed one
computer to be used on their service. So, the gateways are very good at
emulating a single computer. The detection is going to be very iffy, and
require a lot of human interaction. Largely speaking, the devices don't
look any different than some Linux box... if you can even tell the OS.

Such is my experience, anyhow.

--
Hunter Fuller
Network Engineer

Office of Information Technology
The University of Alabama in Huntsville
Systems and Infrastructure

I am part of the UAH Safe Zone LGBTQIA support network:
http://www.uah.edu/student-affairs/safe-zone