From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Lee H Badman
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2014 10:11 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Wireless in Dorms

To me, wireless printers are absolutely the worst offenders. If they could be
eliminated, the rest may be manageable. In one version of the dorm world I
envision, I’d do something like this:

1.       Develop a per dorm central printing solution that was free (as long as
it wasn’t abused), effective, and easy. Then, I’d pass a “no printers allowed”
policy but sell it hard as “no printers needed”

2.       Per dorm, create a consumer-gadget friendly PSK network that only has
Internet access. There’d be MAC registration, and this WLAN would be shared
with the per-dorm wired network that students also have access to. We’d
campaign the heck out of how hard we’re trying to “be like home” and emphasize
the need for good citizenship (with a reminder that bad behavior is trackable)

3.       The secure WLAN would also be available, and would be required for
access to campus resources

Or put another way- try to identify all of the reasons the offending devices
are there to begin with, and flex the standard “secure campus WLAN model” to
accommodate/eliminate as many of the offending devices as possible with
friendlier networking. Patrolling and removal isn’t cost effective, and leads
to mutual bad feelings.

Not sure how this would all work in the real world, but I contemplate more each
semester.

-Lee

Lee Badman
Wireless/Network Architect