I take it from your response you are running APs in DFS channels and I do agree
that in many situations it is completely fine to do so. Where you will run into
trouble is where an AP has one 5 GHz radio and its on a DFS channel AND a
client doesn’t support that channel, you have an issue. Some environments
wouldn’t lend itself to that and others would.

And here’s the thing about Wi-Fi design that has been mentioned; there is no
one size fits all for design. Are there cases where you could have one AP per
classroom with dual 160 MHz channels? Sure. If your building and walls are made
of solid concrete, go for it.

If implementers stay disciplined and keep deployed channel sizes in check then
yes, co-channel interference shouldn’t be an issue. But we all know that won’t
happen.

As an example, think of a multi-story deployment. Even with 18 40 MHz channels,
could there be co-channel interface? Sure. Dual 5 GHz APs, rooms above and
below… won’t take much time at all to have co-channel interference again. Even
as we get more spectrum we are going to continue to find ways to use (and
abuse) it.

:-)

GT

From:  The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv