Bruce,

We are using Microsoft Event log view for NPS/security and are also
exporting security logs daily to another system that we built to massage
the information in order to get stats and summarize errors.  We have
Microsoft System Center that I believe can be expanded to do additional
reporting and alerting but we have been unsuccessful in getting the other
groups to implement it.

I used perfmon for a very short period when I was initially looking at way
to graph rates over a 24 hour period and was quickly discouraged.  I did
not have a working baseline to compare to and I could not find a published
spec.  Our identity group opened a ticket with Microsoft and never got a
solid # on rates.  I believe the response was “depends on your server
resources.”  I was looking at success and failure rates but the problem at
the time was NPS just stopped responding to the supplicant.  I did not see
a counter for something like that.  Maybe I did not look hard enough and
there is a way to calculate it.  I should probably take another look if you
find it useful.

A typical troubleshooting scenario was “everyone in this room was
disconnected!”  I ask the typical question, “did everyone get disconnected
at the same time.”  Response is “yes!”  I ask “so everyone got disconnected
at the very same minute?”  Response, “well no, but during the meeting most
of us got disconnected.”  I reply “most not everyone?.?.?…..”  J  You know
how it goes.  In the end I had to look at information far enough back that
it is/was very difficult to use perfmon.

*Mike Atkins *

Network Engineer

Office of Information Technology

University of Notre Dame