From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Edward Ip
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 2:38 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Microsoft NPS as RADIUS for 802.1X Wi-Fi?

We have being using Microsoft NPS in a cluster as Radius for 80.21X for a while
now. Our normal concurrent client load is about 12,000 users.

Monitoring is now done via Airwave, specifically using the Clarity feature. In
the pass, we used Solarwinds to query our Aruba controllers for the statistics
and then graphing it in Solarwinds.

We are not doing anything fancy with the NPS servers. My network architect
wants to be able to query the AD network and set up network policies (like
bandwidth control and app control) using Bluecoat PacketShaper and the
Authentication and Authorization Agent (BCAAA) with User Awareness feature.
However, the NPS servers do not update our ad directory with regards to what IP
address the wireless client is currently using. So this feature is not useable
on our wireless client (works great on wired domain clients). Investigating if
we can use ClearPass to give the bluecoat the required information.

Edward Ip
Algonquin College | 1385 Woodroffe Avenue | Room C316 | Ottawa | Ontario | K2G
1V8 | Canada
algonquincollege.com