We have been using certificates for many years now, with good results.  We've
never used EAP-PEAP.

We have two PKIs.  For administrative systems that are joined to our AD domain,
the domain PKI automatically issues certificates that are trusted, effectively
auto-configuring the system.  For anything else, including BYOD, we use
Cloudpath, with it's built-in PKI.

Having the wireless authentication decoupled from the account process has been
very helpful over the years:

  *   Fewer lockouts due to badly configured mobile devices (doesn't help with
email clients)
  *   Account suspensions and password changes don't knock devices offline
  *   No user passwords stored for wireless configurations, or shared with
friends/family/etc

Frank Sweetser
Director of Network Operations
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
"For every problem, there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong." -
HL Mencken