Thanks Bruce.

David

On Feb 26, 2018, at 8:31 AM, Curtis, Bruce
<bruce.cur...@ndsu.edu<mailto:bruce.cur...@ndsu.edu>> wrote:

On Feb 23, 2018, at 10:58 AM, David Morton
<dmor...@uw.edu<mailto:dmor...@uw.edu>> wrote:

We currently use EAP-PEAP for our eduroam/802.1x, but are now considering
adding EAP-TLS to the mix. We have several potential PKIs that we could use,
but all of them will take some work to get them ready for a production launch.
Given that resources are limited, I’m looking for some data points about others
who have moved, are thinking of moving or have decided not to adopt EAP-TLS.

To help gather some data can you please answer this short survey?

Do you:

- Support 802.1x? -

Yes.

If yes, do you:

- use EAP-PEAP on campus? -

Yes.

- use EAP-TLS on campus? -

Yes.

- What PKI/CA do you use: -

- If both, why and is one preferred? -

We were mainly using EAP-TLS with some devices using EAP-TTLS.

We will be turning off EAP-TTLS soon.

We enabled EAP-PEAP recently because our help desk reported a significant
percentage of Android devices had issues with EAP-TLS.

Also a smaller percentage of Windows machines had problems with EAP-TLS but it
was decided to use EAP-PEAP for Windows devices.

We continue to use EAP-TLS for Apple devices, both iOS and Mac OS.

EAP-TLS has the advantage that a man in the middle attack can not steal a
password, even if a user turns off the “check server certificate” verification.
Also with EAP-TLS devices do not have to be reconfigured if a password is
changed.

So EAP-PEAP is installed on Android and Windows devices by default with
CloudPath and EAP-TLS is installed by default on Apple devices with CloudPath.
People still have the option of configuring EAP-TLS for Android and Windows
devices and EAP-PEAL for Apple devices but that requires that they configure
that manually rather than with the installer.

- If only PEAP, are you planning EAP-TLS? -

Brief description of why you’re doing what you’re doing and anything else that
might be helpful:

Thank you in advance

David

David Morton
Director, Networks & Telecommunications
Services: Wi-Fi, Wired, Telephony, Mobile & HuskyTV
University of Washington
dmor...@uw.edu<mailto:dmor...@uw.edu>
tel 206.221.7814

http://www.educause.edu/discuss.

---
Bruce Curtis
bruce.cur...@ndsu.edu<mailto:bruce.cur...@ndsu.edu>
Certified NetAnalyst II                701-231-8527
North Dakota State University