Pick your battles carefully.  You can throw a lot of hardware and labor at
the problem to get minimal gains.  Medium contention will continue to be an
issue with ax.  Right now we are hoping ax adoption gives us some
efficiency gains in the next 2-3 years… or more likely in 4-5 years as
client hardware refreshes.  I think this comes down to cost and
expectation.  Over the lifecycle of your cable plant, it costs more to
design/install/operate a voice quality network in the dorm than using
existing wired connections (or installing new.)  Our student expectation is
for the game to work, not that it has to work on wireless.  Yes, we have
surprised some students that had no idea Ethernet existed.  But, the cost
of an Ethernet adapter and patch cable is pretty cheap vs trying to make
dorm Wi-Fi perform as well as switched Ethernet.

In the dorms we offer students public IP addresses for game consoles using
wired.  This prevents the NAT issues with online game devices/services.
Thus we get almost no complaints about game consoles on Wi-Fi…. even in the
older coverage designed dorms.

Our current path is to reduce switching capacity in dorms but keep offering
wired connectivity as an option in the dorms.  We are going from one port
jack per pillow to one port per room.  This year we are also piloting a few
dorms with no jacks active and connecting them as needed.

*Mike Atkins *

Network Engineer

Office of Information Technology

University of Notre Dame