From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Community Group Listserv
<WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU> On Behalf Of Tim Tyler
Sent: Friday, June 4, 2021 9:18 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] Apple product antenna strength vs other?

[EXTERNAL SENDER]
Wifi experts,

We are running Aruba MM with two controllers on 8.7.3.  Our AP’s are mostly
AP-225’s.
I have had complaints from one of our tech rooms that they were getting a poor
signal.  I finally got around to testing that room out.  The location of the AP
to this room is in an adjacent room.  When I test with Windows PC’s and Droid
phones, the signal and performance is just fine.  When we tested with Macs and
iphones, the signal strength was amazingly weak for all of them.  We tested
with two Macs and two iphones as well as multiple PC’s and Android phones.
Only the Apple devices had weak signals.  Have any of you experienced a weaker
antenna performance with your Apple devices on your campuses?

If I put an AP in the room, the Apple devices are fine.  But I am surprised I
would have to do this.  I would not have expected Apple devices to have weaker
antennas.

I did check in Airwave to make sure at least one of the Macs was still
connecting to the same AP.  Any thoughts from anyone?

Tim Tyler
Network Engineer
Beloit College