Lonnie, it would not be unreasonable to allow 2' or larger dishes. I don't think anyone here is thinking about real short shots.

John

Lonnie Nunweiler wrote:

APC is useless if the antennas are not aimed properly or the distance
is excessive for the antenna gain.  These conditions will cause the
transmitters to pump out full volume, and if the antennas are your
lower gain variety that means spraying noise everywhere.

I would recommend leaving the nice tight 6 foot dishes.  That simple
rule keeps the band clean for those long distance shots, instead of
polluting it for close in shots.

You guys have to start asking yourself what you are doing wrong if you
continually need more bands.  The growing trend to higher power and
wide beam antennas has to stop.  We are now doing a shot with 3 foot
antennas and the CM9 Atheros radios in the 5 GHz band that is just
over 52 miles and pulling -71 to -77 dB (variance through the day),
yet I see people lining and almost drooling for the 400 mW high power
cards.

In short, most guys have little RF knowledge and they naturally take
the easy way.  I would expect to see 400 mW cards and patch antennas
if the rules get changed as you are proposing.

I say that is a mistake.

Regards,
Lonnie