I disagree with you Rick. Part-15's effort should be supported as well as WISPA's. Different organizations just have different ways that they can help, different resources to offer, and different goals to accomplish. Part-15 took an approach that may had more beurocracy involved and interaction with FEMA and FCC, but its still a method that got started early to fight through the beurocracy sooner, for a possible larger impact long term. WISPA member's support also had its roll to get help out immediately to those that needed it immediately like MAC's group, bypassing the beaurocracy. But all efforts help. At this point, I think most people's intentions are not self-serving, but to help where they can in a time of need. There will be plenty of reward after the fact for people that do assist, wether it is via press, compensation, access to new client's or just plain self satisfaction that the contributor attempted to be a better person.

If we looked for corruption, minds could go wild, with possibilties. Imagination could make just about anyone's efforts look self serving. For example, where does the gear go after the crisis is over? But those are all secondary concerns to getting people help. Why shouldn't an association take advantage of benefits gainable associated with giving? So my opinion is put your contribution where you feel most comfortable putting it, but lets not knock anyone's assistence. Its not a competition.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 1:49 AM
Subject: RE: [WISPA] need WISPA to step up

I retract my previous statement, due to several things on the P15 side of the fence that appear to be ugly.

I don't believe P15 is doing this without self promotion in mind.

This is an effort that needs to be thankless, and in THAT fact, it will come out that <a wireless organization> stepped up to the plate, and because of their efforts, a whole lot of people were more comfortable.

Imagine, after the city's cleaned up, and we got to collectively KEEP the antenna locations we borrowed to put the network in place, there'd be interviews on tv, etc that asked WISPA officials for their comments on the overall process, and the tag line could be simply "Call WISPA today to find out how they can get a local WISP to help you!"

That said, I'm helping Mac and Johnny in their efforts, directly, for the same reason I never give money to the salvation army or the red cross. I want to know where my money / donations are going and what they're being used for.

I think a whole lot of people here ought to think real hard about this new-found relationship with P15 that wouldn't exist without tragedy as the underlying cement.