I'm of course familiar with the Motorola enterprise MIBs which they
constantly add to.  But here's the issue why I soapbox'ed that changing a
previously defined OIDs is shameful.  Take the effort to develop an snmp
management function ... update some device's firmware and the management
function CEASES TO WORK (only happens if the manufacturer changes previously
defined objects).  I can't see any excuse for this.  OIDs once defined
should not change.  If you want to provide a new model with radically
different MIBs, they must spawn from a new branch under the manufacturer's
enterprise MIB.  No changes permitted, no exceptions, zero tolerance.  I've
no knowledge that Trango did this ... I'm just providing justification for
my quotation that David replied to.

On another part of David's reply he comments on interface.InOctets.
>And don't even get me started on
>the fact that they don't use the same Enterprise MIBs that pretty much
>everyone else on the planet uses for 'interface.InOctets' and so on.
The interfaces MIB is a standard part of the MIB-II set of objects (OIDs)
which is not part of the manufacturer's "enterprise" proprietary objects.
There's no problem with a device containing both (the MIB-II set and an
enterprise set / I've seen several radios that contain both), but if a
device includes the MIB-II set it's not in the manufacturer's authority to
redefine them ... they only get to make up their own definition of their
enterprise objects.  Is the interface.InOctets MIB you referred to part of
the standardized MIB-II or just a "similarly named" object of the
manufacturer's proprietary enterprise MIB?

Rich