Charles,

Some very good points.

However, lets look at it from another angle. What message is the VOIP wholesale provider sending, with their currently mentality, for them to decide who they will and will not allow to play in the VOIP space? More or less, I consider CommPartners an RBOC equivellent of VOIP. They are discriminating on which ISPs can and can't use their VOIP. They are saying, we'll give your competitors the Cable Companies and CLECs access to our VOIP network to compete against you, but we will not give you access to our VOIP network to defend yourselves, unless you PAYS US. Thats like Mafia protection money, in my mind.

The CommPartners of the world are starting the war. They decide to take the end users for themselves or their preferred partners.

So with Eye for an eye mentality.... If they restrict me from their network, why should I not restrcit them from mine?

This is not an issue of legislation. This is an issue of market pressure. Do we support Wholeslae partners that are discriminary to our own industry that is our life blood?

You could argue that the CommPartners aren't descriminary because they equally charge every one huge initiation fees. But then again, I could argue that that same mentality didn't fly when the Cable Companies denied ISPs access to their fiber, arguing they equally gave ISPs the option to pay million for the access. Same principle just different scale. I could argue that I wasn't being descriminary if I equally was charging all VOIP providers the same fee for optimization.

What MCI did was more exceptable. They did not disallow partners. They just had different plans, based on the partners volume. So the partners could get better terms as the increased their dedication to the business and volume. But didn't need to abandon the initial model when they reached that size.

At what point does a service provider (VOIP) get to the size that they have a strategic advantage above all other providers in the space, that they should be treated the same as a connectivity wholesale provider / monopoly such as a RBOC?

The second a vendor of any type, starts saying I'm going to allow these guys but not these guys, things can get ugly. Its not a problem if the ISP mutually does not select that wholesale provider. But what when that provider gains enough market share, and the ISP would have wanted that partnership to be competitive? In my mind, someone is either with me, or against me. And if not with me, they are a threat, because their success could help my competitors, and this is a ruthless competitive world. If someone is not with me, than in my mind they are on their own, and anything goes, because I have no obligation to support someone that has chosen not to support me by terms I consider fair.

I think everyone in this industry has to think really hard who their allies are and who is their competition is. Supporting the competition, in the long run could mean death to yourself eventually. We need to support the people that support us as an industry.

I am not passing judgement on which companies should or shouldn't be supported, nor am I passing judgement on the method that should be used to support or fight back against companies that are our competitors.

I'm just saying that the purpose of groups like WISPA, is that there is strength in numbers and unity. And we need to use that unity to demand competitive advantage in this industry.

I've seen little negotiations/advantages won for the membership benefit by leveraging WISPA's weight as a group. I'd like to see more of that take place. I personally, can;t use WISPA's weight to move forward my negotiations independantly, because I am not authorized to do so on WISPA's behave.

This is not meant to be a complaint regarding WISPA, just a suggestion on possible goals for WISPA.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Wu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>