Ya, for me it was like, huh, I did an install an hour ago and it worked. Now it won't. Must be the way I put the antenna together and it won't get signal. Well, you know the rest. I'm glad the guy called who was out of service or I would have worked on this all night. Anyway, I got done the install I wanted to and things are golden.

Mark Koskenmaki wrote:

Brian, My first access point went up in July of 04.   I had never put a WRAP
board before, and I mistook which was radio 1 and radio 2.

Anyway, I managed to hook the 2.4 ghz AP to the 5 ghz dish and the 5 ghz
radio to the 2.4 sector...

Well, we had no trouble at all hooking up to the AP while standing at the
building.   Or, anywhere around it.

But, the 5 ghz backhaul would NOT hook up.   The AP could not be seen at 1.2
miles, even with a 16 db antenna.

I fought with that thing for 2 days, on and off.  It was incredibly hot and
going up there in the middle of the wheat field was unbearable, so I worked
at it at night.   Anyway,  I started work on it near sunset, checked
everything out again, clear down to changing all the radios and pigtails,
and giving up,  I went to the other end of the backhaul, nine miles away.
I did some fiddling with the AP while I was there then giving up and
deciding to snoop around instead, I then decided to survey using the utility
for the PC card.  Suddenly, the SSID for the other AP showed, and I
connected, using a 14 db panel.    Even through that 5 ghz grid, I had a
pretty decent signal at 2.4 at 9 miles.

It was about 3:30 AM.   I drove to the other site, switched the antenna
cables, and VIOLA!  I had a fully functional net access site :)   I was so
jazzed, I drove around checking coverage for another hour, and then got home
in time for breakfast.

I was happy to tell the partner I had fixed it.   It was terribly
ego-bruising to admit how stupid of a mistake it was and how I had simply
not caught on for 2 days....

Needless to say, I suddenly decided to wise up and check things out and be
sure of assumptions I make from then on...

North East Oregon Fastnet, LLC 509-593-4061
Fast Internet, NO WIRES!
-
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Rohrbacher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>