There is an effort being perpetuated to try to eliminate or at least restrict our ability to use 900 MHz for wireless broadband. We need stories of how 900 MHZ is being used today by WISPs, Muini's, etc. to bring broadband to the masses where nothing else will do the job. Send your stories to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Here is my 900 MHz usage example:

Mt. Vernon. Net, Inc. is a WISP (Wireless Internet Service Provider) in rural Southern Illinois. Our entire business model is based on serving broadband to markets where service is either not available or not widely available. There are many trees in Southern Illinois. These trees have a tendancy to make WiFi and other low-power, higher-frequency wireless broadband options very weak for delivery of broadband due to absorption of the signal by the trees. This means many people cannot get the signal even when in close proximity to a tower location. The only option available to WISP operations in these conditions is 900 MHz broadband delivery. This unlicensed 900 MHz band is used in 40% of all my rural customer connections.

Mt. Vernon. Net was fortunate enough to receive grant funding through the USDA Rural Utility Service to provide broadband to customers in the small town of Bluford, Illinois. This town of roughly 750 people had no other broadband at all. They also had many mature trees all over town. The only way to effectively serve this community was with 900 MHz Waverider brand equipment. The system is now online and works flawlessly.

The best example of the importance of this 900 MHz system in rural broadband delivery was in a the case last year of a young man in Bluford who developed Leukemia. He had to have a bone marrow transplant which led to his complete isolation from all people to stop any possible infection. The transplant left him with no immune system. This young man could have easily died. His biggest concern though was finishing school with his 2nd grade class. We used the 900 MHz wireless system to deliver a virtual classroom connection for this young man. He could pan, tilt and zoom a camera from his web browser at home as if he were at school.

900 MHz broadband technology is the "secret sauce" in making stories like this possible. It is the ONLY option WISPs have in bringing rural broadband online quickly and efficiently when other technologies will not do the job.. The unlicensed 900 MHz technology we are using is an absolute necessity in making rural broadband options available today in all of the United States.
John Scrivner
President
Mt. Vernon. Net, Inc.