Matt,

Do you really believe that? I know the comments you made in regard to 911 compliance I countered with facts I can backup. Therefore, your ideas on 911 compliance were either just made up or worse, your lawyer agreed with you on them.

You are making a gross misunderstanding.
I did not make up anything. I simply stated an idea. I never claimed to have any backup for that idea, thats why it was an idea, and I was inquiring this lsit full of experts. I never gave advise on the topic, nor did I ever say what I was suggesting was right. I am very new on this topic (VOIP E911 Compliant) and by no way represented myself as the expert in the debate. However, I dod recognize myself as an inteligent person who is capable of bringing up thought that other WISP might also think about when considering how they plan to offer VOIP.

I hadn't been that worried about compliance. My plan had always been to use you for my VOIP, because you were compliant. However, I as well need to consider how I will be able to be compliant when using your services as well. Its an area I need to learn about and understand.

If you didn't check your ideas against the FCC's order, asked an FCC staffer for an opinion, or verified them with a lawyer then my statement above --no matter how disrespectful you may find it-- would seemingly be correct.

I didn't think you were directing the "making things up" at me specifically, but maybe you were based on your responses. Just because I question you, does not mean that I think you are wrong. If anything you should feel honored, as I a mrespecting you as an individual that may have the answers to the question or situations that I bring up.

I'm all for people thinking for themselves, looking, and sharing ways to deal with regulations as they come up. However, when one's contributions to such a discussion is not informed then I don't think it helps anyone survive, save money, or stay competitive.

Another one of your annoying responses....
Are you saying you are better than others on this list (such as me), and only a select few have the right to have an opinion worthy to discuss with you? I'd argue that your comments on this thread had pretty much been worthless until certain people challenged your point of view, and forced you to disclose in more detail the reasons to backup your statements. Your backup explanations WERE VERY VALUABLE to the readers. But you didn't get that information out all by yourself. It required people proding you and challenging you to challenge yourself to disclose the answers. I'd argue that an open list to all members of any level for discussion is more valueable for everyone. If you don't agree with that, I'm not sure why you are discussing VOIP on an open WISP list, instead you should set up a list for the ELITE VOIP operator.

Again, in order to use a lawyer in such a manner then you must be informed. How can you suggest possibilities to your lawyer if you haven't read the order?

I agree, I as well as any otehr WISP considering VOIP should probably read the order.

Thirdly, regulation is not just a legal issue, it is also a technical issue. I don't care how much council you get and how good they are, Lawyers rarely understand the minute details that differentiate technical issues. Historically, even the best lawyers, tend to be technically challenged. I know I service them daily. Why, because their time is more valuable, so they pay others to learn the technical stuff for them. I don't trust a lawyer any more than a congressman to understand detailed technical issues of our industry, that we have trouble understanding ourselves as the experts in it everyday full time. (no disrepect meant to the legal profession, and there are some legal council that are technically savy of course, some that have even advised on this list).

I think you have just made a gross generalization about an entire industry. For example, patent attorneys are required to have a technical background and often possess a Phd in their field of specialization. Additionally, I know for a fact that several of our attorneys are more knowledgeable about the PSTN and 911 both legally and technically than I am.

Good for you, if you found them (attorney that is both technical and legal expertised), and can afford them.

Fourthly, Why should everyone pay for legal council and replicate costs, when we can share knowledge learned. There are many places to learn other than jsut legal council. Studying FCC comments, learning at trade shows, or reading common publications. I don't see much "Making it up". Although I do see a lot of "IDEAS".

Please point me to FCC comments, trade show presentations, or publications that you used for your ideas. Certainly, without those sources then those ideas must be made up.

My idea was made up, that is the definition of an idea. Someone having original thought. That means they made it up.

You said, "makes things up". I hguess it all depends what you are referring to by "things". When you said "things", I thought you were referring to the "law", the "regulations", What is definitively "compliant". Based on that definition of "Things", I in no way "made things up". If you define "things" as "ideas", sure I'm guildy as charged, I had an "idea".

Fifthly, Sometimes people don't pay legal council because its just not cost effective during the idea phase. I'm sure most people do consult council, just like you, at the appropriate time.

What is the appropriate time? Before or after one has stated publicly on a mailing list their position.

I never stated my position. I shared Ideas and asked questions.
I'm not stupid enough to spend $400 an hour shooting the breeze about ideas with an attorney.

The appropriate time is before someone decides to invest significant dollars into their vision that exceed the legal cost to get council.
Or before someone sells services publically, and concerned about liabilty.
Or when they feeel like, and its no longer a science project but a serious business venture.

You don't think that if someone has a serious injury due to the failure of a 911 call that public archives might be searched to see if the offending organization was negligent.

If you think paying council, is discovering the complete undisputable answer, you are fooling yourself. Thats why they have judges. To determine which point of view is correct, when the point of view between two legal teams on a toipic differ. Your legal council, is just one preception of the law. And I'm interested in hearing your perceptions as well, as the perceptions of the others on this list.

The correct answer isn't as important as a legally defendable answer. If I am advised by counsel that I am complying with the law and am later found not to be by a judge then my lawyer is at fault.

That I agree with.

-Matt