From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Tom DeReggi
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 6:54 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] [Fwd: Durbin introduces bill to encourage highspeedinternet
access in rural areas]

That bill is big news !!!

Personally, I think the the government needs to pass legislation that will have
a quicker call to action, though.
I call it the petition for a grant program.  I believe any community that is
underserved (no body will come), regardless of wether its rural, suburban or
urban, should have equal right to get funds to gain broadband.  This include low
income projects, or small hole out side of range, where there may not be a
financial insentive for large palayers to ever focus on delivering broadband to
them.  That means ALL AMERICANS deserve broadband, regardless of where they may
live.  I believe if a community can get a petition by a certain number of
people, proving that they could not get broadband at affrodable rates in line
with nearby cities, thay community should be able to get a grant, that can go
only for payment to a third party service provider (such as E-rate).  (service
provider being joint applicant).
Basically we need to minimze spending money on groups to think about broadband,
and start funding groups that are ready to install broadband, and where their
are consumers ready to start paying for broadband (monthly fees), but need the
subsidy to incourage the initial installation.