Mac Dearman wrote:
I am at a loss here as they are the Nations largest and even providing for certain Telcos! They have written the book on e911 as well as hold a many patents on the technology.
They are the nations largest in terms of e911 management. However, before last year they didn't have a single e911 trunk. They tried to leverage their situation and provide VoIP e911 until they found themselves out of money from the buildout expense. They were bought by an unheard of company back in January. See http://radinfo.blogspot.com/2006/01/intrado-gets-bought.html.
Yes - there is. First, where there are no actual 911 addresses or the County/Parish does not have their end set up there is the long/Lat approach that is being used. The right PSAP is still attained and the right address is given.
Wrong, the FCC requires the VoIP operator to support e911 regardless of whether it is available. The VoIP operator is not allowed to market services in areas where e911 isn't supported.
Well, we are doing much better than that :-) The biggest advantage with us is that once the e911 call is placed it does not travel over SIP trunks or the internet when it hits our NOC as we have dedicated PRIs to handle that traffic and we dump it to that route. This way we are not relying on Level3 in Dallas J but a straight shot to Intrado.
Having PRIs doesn't help you with manual administrative processes. Your company is not special; every telecom company has to deal with these issues. You just don't know that you will have to.
The e911 price is exactly what's holding the majority back! The majority of the ISPs who want to do VoIP can't handle a $5000.00 set up fee and then a minimum of $300.00 per month starting out with 3 VoIP phone clients!
When we talk with other WISPs about VoIP they aren't so much worried about the price. They are worried about their network, supporting their customers, running their own switch, etc.
It is not perfect, but VoIP is absolutely too easy! Asterisk has made it possible for my mother to set up a fully functional PBX. It kind of reminds me of driver's license in that any idiot who can breathe and see can get a license and anyone who can order a disc with the newest GUI can be in the VoIP business. Now the truth is that there are thousands out there, but only 10 worth subscribing to.
Who are these 10? And why would you include your company in the list?
Do you resell e911?
No

Who are you using for a solution?

The ILEC like everyone else.

Do you have a FCC certificate for each State you are doing business in?

We are well aware of all the FCC regulations that impact our company and abide by them.

-Matt