The NTIA only allows the use of the 1710 to 1720 MHz band that I now have in CMA401 to be used with a max EIRP for the system (radio plus antenna) of 1 watt and a max height above average terrain of 30 feet. Their is NO practical use of 1710 to 1720 MHz as a tower base station frequency, period. It can ONLY be used at client ends. The base station end has to be in the 2110 to 2120 MHz band which can transmit at hundreds of watts EIRP. These unbalanced power levels may make this look like a dead deal for 1710 to 1720 for any use but remember that all PCS client radios (cell phones) operate at far below 1 watt EIRP. AWS can work as a broadband platform but only as a FDD based system. It also probably means that a different modulation scheme will be required for the client to base path because of the skewed power levels which probably means assymetrical bandwidth offerings.

I can live with that if it means I can serve everyone inside a given geography without running signal tests all the time. I want to sell customers a card or a phone or a PDA and be done with it. That is the whole reason to do this kind of a deal. Truck rolls are killing this industry from my perspective. We need to build networks that just work everyplace without having to do installations at every single customer location. That is the dream I am hoping to experience. I'll let you know how well that works out after a few million in Capex and a few years getting it all built. Wish me luck. I'll need it. :-)
Scriv

Matt Liotta wrote:

I wouldn't think you would be required to use FDD. 802.16e supports varying channel widths, so you could for example deploy a multi-point system with two 10Mhz channels or six 3Mhz channels all TDD.

-Matt

John Scrivner wrote:

Tom DeReggi wrote:

Scriv,Congrads on the spectrum win.

Thank you.

What are you doing about equipment to operate in that spectrum range?

That is the $100,000 question right now. 802.16e for mobility and fixed wireless is designed strictly for TDD use. I have paired frequencies which are generally relegated to some type of FDD system like those used in the cellular industry. There are some next gen choices in that area that I am looking at. I personally believe someone will adapt 802.16e to work in FDD whether it is standards compliant or not. Then I will likely choose that. I could use 802.16d gear like BreezeMax but I really want to offer mobility as well as fixed which is not an option with 802.16d. Nortel is working on me pretty hard right now. We'll see where this goes. It is going to be a while before I can get the incumbent users of my bands relocated so I have some time to ponder.
Scriv

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband