From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of John Scrivner
Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2006 11:14 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] vendor specs

Not to beat the horse here but I think having SNR, RSSI and Noise
readings are all things people should have in an advanced platform.
Granted if you have any two you can get the third but just having it all

right there seems logical to me. I am guessing the system could easily
derive all three as it has to know the RSSI and Noise level to get SNR
to begin with. A person should use all three when peaking a link to see
where potential noise sources are located, how much signal you can max
out at and where the best SNR is. The only time more information is not
better is when you have an installer who does not comprehend the
differences in all three readings and could become confused. I would not

want that guy dong my VL links to begin with though.

I do understand the differences and inter-relationships between SNR,
RSSI and Noise level and I would like to see all three when I set a
link. I am guessing this would take the Alvarion firmware writers about
2 minutes to add that into the next firmware revision. I am not
exaggerating here. I am sure the code to do this is already there to
produce the SNR number and a checkbox in the build options will add RSSI

and Noise levels to the next revision. I tell you what Patrick, if your
firmware designers say it will take more than 15 minutes to add that
code then I owe you dinner at ISPCON one night. Deal?
Scriv

Patrick Leary wrote:

> If the general concensus is that RSSI is a must, then I will try to
> convince PM to add such a reading.
>
> Patrick Leary
> AVP WISP Markets
> Alvarion, Inc.
> o: 650.314.2628
> c: 760.580.0080
> Vonage: 650.641.1243

RSSI

> less sophisticated and a less useful number than SNR since it is only
an

> indication of receive signal without discounting noise? SNR provides a
>
> more accurate representation of wanted signal since it discounts for
>
> unwanted noise.
>
> Not sure of your complaint about the RJ45. No one else remarks about
it

> and we don't have issues with water intrusion. In other words, it
works

> well. If the opening was enlarged you increase the potential for water
>
> intrusion.
>
> Following the color code? Yes, as an old cabling guy, I would agree.
But

************

************

************

************

************

************

************

************

************

************

************

************
> PineApp Mail-SeCure for the presence of malicious code, vandals &
> computer viruses.

9/22/2006

computer viruses(191).

computer viruses(42).