Hi Brad,

A lot of what Dave has said is good info and my reply is a bit redundant. The lights on the bottom of the radio should really only be used for a rough indication of signal level. This is true for most radio products that offer lights for RSL. Once you have achieved association via lights on the bottom it is best to Telnet as Dave suggested and then tune for highest SNR. The lights can help here, but only roughly. If you are looking at continuous link quality display that will give you the fine indications to help you aim and achieve the best connection possible. You may also see the effects of heavy multipath while watcing this in the form of bouncing SNR. This can also be seen in the lights as little light movement. OFDM does a much better job with multipath than a traditional radio, but it does not eliminate MP type problems.

Best SNR is only part of the equation. The counters also need to be reviewed and I find the Breezeconfig site survey page the easiest to read. You need to look at retrans vs total as a percentage and also look at drops which are frames rxtx that never successfully made it. You also need to look at the per rate counters, particularly if the area is noisy. The radio will auto modulate from level 8 to level 1 based on noise. The automodulation scheme is pretty decent in the radio but I klike to hard set the max mod rate when noise is present. The radio will always try to mod at the highest level and sometime that level might be close to the SNR threshold and performance may be acceptable to the algorithm but not acceptable to you. If I see the radio counters showing many fails at mod8, fewer at mod 7, and clean at mod 6 I would lock the radio to 6. No sense in allowing it to try to do better than 6 if conditions mostly won't allow it.

Channel size (10 or 20Mhz) is another tool available to help find open spectrum to run on.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Mike Cowan
Wireless Connections