David,

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 11:23 -0600, David E. Smith wrote:
> As part of the ongoing (does it ever stop?) efforts to make a Better
> Network, I've finally started using private subnets where appropriate.
>
> I'd love to be able to better automate some parts of my network, though,
> and I'm not sure how to do both of 'em at the same time. (Right now,
> substantially our whole network uses static IP assignments everywhere,
> and that's not really viable long-term.)
>
> My ideal scenario would be something like this:
>
> * The AP runs a DHCP server and talks to a RADIUS server (that's easy)
> * When a client associates, do a RADIUS lookup to see if they should be
>   allowed to associate (that's easy too)
> * Give the CPE an IP address from one subnet, then give "whatever else
>   is there" an IP from a different subnet (that's the tricky part)
Why not have the AP run a DHCP relay instead of a full server, have
everything relayed to a central server of your choice that way IP
management becomes a one stop shop. Reservations would take care of
setting IPs for specific mac addresses.

> This is made even more complicated by the fact that many of our CPE are
> Senao CB3 units, which do MAC cloning and I don't think you can turn it
> off. (Basically, both the CPE and the customer's router, or whatever,
> show up in my tower as having the CPE's MAC.)
We are currently setting two IPs for each customer using a cb3, one for
the cb3 and one for the customer's equipment ( router, computer etc ) so
you should be able to apply a different IP for each piece of equipment.

> If I weren't trying to conserve public IP space, this would be easy
> enough - just give the CPE one IP address and the customer's gear a
> second one. But there's really no reason for my radios to be visible to
> the public Internet, and it's wasteful of those sweet sweet IPs.
>
> I know there's a solution to this problem, because that's basically how
> most cable modem setups work. (Annoyingly, I can't get my company's
> wireless Internet at home, so I've got cable modem there.) The cable
> modem is a bit "smarter" than a CB3, though, thanks to DOCSIS. I'd like
> to do all this at the tower, instead of having to buy (or invent) new
> CPE if possible.
>
> Is this even possible?
Anything is possible.

I am planning a similar system, hopefully deployed by the first of the
year. Along with our own IPs from ARIN and all new bandwidth.

> David Smith
> MVN.net

Ryan Langseth
invisimax.com