Great review, Bob.  Gotta love it!

Best,

Brad

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Bob Moldashel
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 9:43 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] high throughput backhaul options

OK.......Lets have a review......

It does not use the whole band.

It has GPS sync so you can use multiple links on the same channel.  That
makes it efficient...

It works for the application..

There is a big difference of opinion here regarding spectrum usage.  My
way of seeing it is as follows.....

1.  I always install links with the largest possible antennas to keep my
beamwidth as narrow as possible regardless of distance.  In NYC I
consistently use 2' antennas for links one mile or less.

2. We use only the power we need to do the job.  Many of our links are
running 0-5 dB of output at the radio.

3. We always mount antennas using rooftop structures or adjacent
buildings to shield us from others.

4.  Interference happens.  We have not had any interference with FD
constant carrier radios.  Period.

Another position is why should several users be allowed to use equipment
that eats up the band passing say a simple video stream and such??  How
is that "efficient"????  They are eating channels running a couple of
megs.....I'm eating it running 100 Mb FD.  How about the WISP's that are
using 120* sector antennas and throwing RF all over the place every time
one of his 3 subscribers decides to use their system??  How is that
spectrum efficency???  Or the guy that uses an omni and the 1 watt amp???

I can go on and on.  The spectrum is limited.  That sucks.  But business
is business and it is important to do what is necessary to provide for
your business at the most cost effective manner possible.  Is WalMart
going to be considerate of you if you have a little 5 & 10 store on the
next block???   Of course not.  And why??? Because they are serving the
masses at a price that the masses want and that is what it takes to
serve the masses.  Will some of the 5&10 operators go out of business
because they can't compete??  Sure they will.  Its called competition.
And that is just what Matt is doing.  If he has the demand then he needs
to do what is necessary.  If his business model does not allow him to
purchase expensive licensed equipment over cheaper unlicensed equipment
then so be it.  That's business.

I came from the 2 way radio industry.  I fought the beast (Nextel) for
several years before it finally killed the 2-way radio industry.  I was
somewhat fortunate because we did predominately Public Safety and
Government accounts.  We were the ones to get up at 2AM on a Sunday to
fix a base station while all the 2-way shops that were doing 9-5
business customers were home sleeping.  When nextel killed 2-way
dispatch all the other radio shops decided to start fixing Public safety
and Govt customer equip.  The labor rate went from $100 per hour to $40
per hour just so guys could survive. Many went out of business. Am I
upset???  Sure.  Did I plan for my future??  Sure.  We turned on big
time to microwave 12 years ago when most of you didn't even know about
it. As such we have avoided the dreaded Nextel monster. Am I going to be
able to do what I am doing forever???  Of course not.  I am already
planning my next transition.

If most of you guys think you are going to be WISP's 10+ years from now
I think you need to re-examine your business plan....

I am sure that many will be unhappy with this rant but I think it needs
to be real food for thought.  If I was in business and i needed 100 Mb
FD of throughput between locations I'll be damned if I am going to spend
extra money for equipment so I don't interfere with someone else in the
future.

PLEASE NOTE*****I AM NOT ENDORSING INTENTIONAL INTERFERENCE BY ANYONE.
So please don't say I am....

Good luck!