To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 10:05 AM
Subject: RE: [WISPA] Overage plan help

Marlon:
The first part is pretty easy, we will just assume a 30 month
day:

Bytes = 1,000,000 bps * 60 seconds/min * 60 min/hour * 24 hours/day * 30
days / 8 bits/byte
     = 324,000,000,000

The next part to covert to gigabytes is where people will have disputes.
I use  1GB = 1,073,741,824 bytes, but you can see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte for the entire discussion.
Therefore in a month of continuous transfer they would move about 301.7
GB!
We also charge residential customers for transfer and have the
limit set at 4GB which is more than enough for 95%+ of our customers.
The other 5% simply get slowed down to dialup rates when they cross the
limit by our bandwidth monitor.  If they want to pump the speed back up
they need to pay for additional transfer which we sell in 4GB blocks at
about the same as the monthly cost for the service.  This definitely
cuts down on the abusers of the system which are of course the hardest
on the network.
For business customers we just price service accordingly and do
not place transfer limits on these accounts.  That is just my 2 cents
worth, hope it helps.

Larry