David,

This is for the end user cpe side. I'd like to see both fail-over and
load balancing but fail-over is priority. No need for wireless. I'll
look into the microtik. Thanks! -RickG

On 1/6/07, David E. Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
RickG wrote:

> Hey, I've been testing Dual-WAN routers. I've used Xincom, Linksys, &
> D-Link. The Linksys seems to be most reliable because it has a "health
> check feature". Has anyone out there tried anything else?

Are you just looking for redundancy (i.e. automatic failover so if one
ISP or connection dies, you'll more-or-less transparently switch to the
second one), or for bonding or load balancing (i.e. double your
bandwidth by using both connections at once)?

Either way, building a system with Mikrotik's RouterOS software is
probably the answer you're looking for, or at least an acceptable
answer. Automatic failover is so easy, even I was able to figure it out;
the other fancy stuff you'd have to read up a bit, but it's quite possible.

Heck, the new(ish) RouterBoard 150 hardware comes with the software, and
the board itself can be found for around $70. Add in a power supply and
a case of some sort, and you've got a nice complete setup for around
$100. (I'm assuming you need JUST routing here; if you want this to be a
wireless client as well, you'd need a slightly more expensive piece of kit.)

David Smith
MVN.net

-RickG