To: <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2007 10:34 AM
Subject: [WISPA] Boeing Fails to Learn from WISPs

Boeing is dropping it's plans to offer wireless access on the new 787 Dreamliner. It will be using a WIRED network instead.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/301086_boeing25.html

The reasons given were:

1. Reducing the aircraft weight.

2. Difficulty in getting regulatory approval in a few countries.

3. The "prototype" system might not have delivered the expected performance.

Sure, reducing weight on an (already overweight) aircraft is good. Boeing says they are replacing 200 lbs of access points and antennas with 50 lbs of wiring; thereby saving 150 lbs.

Sure regulatory approval (2.4 GHz??) might have been a problem in some country - perhaps in Elbonia or Lower Slobovia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbonia

My thinking is that Boeing engineers may have simply failed to learn a lesson that some WISPs have known for years. Any knowledgeable WISP could have told Boeing that putting two dozen access points inside an airplane cabin would create so much self-interference that the system would never deliver enough throughput to satisfy customers expectations for speed and performance.

jack

Serving the License-Free Wireless Industry Since 1993
Newsletters Downloadable from http://ask-wi.com/newsletters.html