I deployed a DECT (Digital European Cordless Telecommunications) system with
450 handsets several years ago.

The phones were single line units made by Phillips.  They system worked OK,
but the features were very lacking.  The frequency range was 1880-1900 MHz
This deployment was in Paris, France and was connected behind a PBX. There
were about 21 "base stations", each one capable of supporting many
conversations.

The DECT system is interesting because it is the standard in Europe and
people's home handsets could be registered on this system. All I had to do
was enter the code # into the management system.  We were afraid that the
handsets might begin disappearing due to the interoperability, but these
handsets were so cheesy that the home models were much better.

The DECT system did handoff calls as the users walked between base stations,
which was pretty cool.

A year or so aqo, DECT was authorized here in the US, on slightly different
frequencies: 1920-1930 MHz. There was not any general hoopla at all around
this introduction.

DECT isn't GSM, but the two are made to be very compatible and in Europe,
there are dual mode DECT/GSM phones.  These systems, which are sometimes
used in installations like mine, allow the user to switch over to a more
cost-effective DECT connection when in range, and the GSM signaling is
passed over to the DECT system, but in DECT format.

I haven't seen but one DECT phone here and it was very basic, but I expect
that the technology will quickly be expanded to products like the multi
handset systems, etc that are getting popular from Uniden and all the
others.

It should eliminate all WISP interference for sure!

Ralph