Lonnie,

I have published a Certification FAQ

http://ask-wi.com/certification.html

that I believe addresses all of these questions.

WISPA also has a Certification email list to further address these issues. That list is currently open only to WISPA members.

Regarding using a copy of someone else's certified system; an EXACT copy can be legal however this is easier said than done because the company that pays for the certification may choose to keep some information confidential to preclude someone else from making an exact copy. Most well-run businesses would probably want to prevent other businesses from "sponging" off of them and competing unfairly and would not cooperate with competitor businesses. Of course, a group of WISPs could collaborate to share the certification costs, then agree to build EXACT (hardware and software) copies. Responsible manufacturers or organizations could even choose to publish EXACT descriptions of their already-certified products. Anyone building these exact copies must take responsibility for building an EXACT copy. The FCC can come inspect at any time. They can also request that anyone building a certified system (the original "Grantee" or someone "copying" a certified system) provide a sample system for the FCC to test to verify compliance with the originally certified system specs.

I can't speak for WISPA but their Certification email list appears to be one possible vehicle that can be used to coordinate equipment needs and share certification costs.

Regarding software, AFAIK every software update does not need to be recertified. The original system certification must be done using software that only allows the system to operate in FCC-legal frequency bands and at FCC-legal power levels. For example, a 5.8 GHz system could not ship with software that also allowed operation on 4.9 GHz or even on 5.4 GHz because the certification requirements for those two bands are different than 5.8 GHz. A two-band system would be legal (for example 5.4 and 5.8 GHz) if it was tested and verified to operate within FCC-legal specs on BOTH bands however today this would require a rather long test cycle because only the FCC lab is currently doing 5.4 GHz testing.

AFAIK, if a certified system had a software fix come out to add security or to address software reliability issues, that would be legal as long as the RF characteristics weren't changed to allow operation on non-certified bands or on additional frequencies or at higher-than-originally certified power levels.

If anyone has additional questions or corrections, please feel free to post them.

Thanks,
        jack

P.S. - Earlier tonight I emailed ADI Engineering asking for clarification regarding any fully-certified systems that they offer. Their website says that their MOTHERBOARDS have FCC Part 15 Class B certification but there is no mention of FCC Part 15 Subpart C certification which includes testing the motherboard with the wireless card(s) and the antenna(s). We need to use systems that have been tested and verified to meet both Class B and Subpart C requirements.

Lonnie Nunweiler wrote:
Are you sure about this?  Is this what ADI told you, personally?

The Original Manufacturer assembles a system and has it certified with
that set of components and construction techniques.  As long as the
SAME parts and SAME techniques are used then this system should be
certified.  Of course the manufacturer must take responsibility and
certify that proper components and techniques were used.

As to software, there is a lot of leeway there.  Most systems use
Linux and all Atheros code is derived from the source code that people
license from Atheros.  The free madwifi drivers are still traceable
and derived from Atheros source code.  If you had to certify the exact
software with the system, then it would be a nightmare and I believe
that not a single manufacturer would currently be legal after they
release a new image unless they would get each and every software
release certified, as they must do for each hardware change.  That
would be excessive and would eventually make everybody illegal since
software fixes are brought out rapidly to address security and
reliability issues.

Lonnie