On Thu, 17 May 2007, Zack Kneisley wrote:

I don't feel that ANY promotion of products or services in a signature of this particular list should be allowed unless you pay

Not sure I'd go that far. I think email sigs are acceptable, regardless of the content or poster. I can tell you that I have a single signature file that I use and if it were not allowed on this (or some other) list, the I would just go to the trouble to not post on that list.

There is value to the list members in the input of various people, regardless of their status with WISPA. However, I think the problem (in the case of what started this) was a little different. Personally, I think anything should be allowed in an email sig. I think answering questions is (and should be) allowed, even if the answer promotes a product you sell.

I am a vendor member of WISPA and I sell consulting services as well as technical training for the Mikrotik RouterOS. I have been on this list since it's creation. I have been a vendor member for only a month or two. I have posted MANY answers to questions on this list, some of which were "borderline" advertisements. I have, also, paid for actual advertisements. If you look back through the archives, you'll see that my posts (most of them) have not been self promoting, however, I have gained MUCH value from having participated in this, and many other, lists.

I think the problem that started this thread (and the original one) should have been handled offlist. I DO think, however, that blatant advertising, which WAS happening, should be kept to a minimum. I'm just glad I'm not the one who has to decide what is and is not "appropriate".

--
Butch Evans
573-276-2879