To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 6:51 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Alternate transport providers, Cogent

Matt Liotta wrote:
Cogent is awful and widely known for it. Nevertheless, the do have an important place in the industry. If you use them for an upstream make sure you have another one and understand enough about BGP to get around the traffic engineering they do.

I should also add that there isn't much point in buying Cogent at carrier hotels. Tier 1 providers are available for the same or cheaper than Cogent in many cases. Cogent only tends to be cheaper outside carrier hotels.

One thing to consider for those who understand Cogent's peering problems is that Cogent has a rather good BGP community setup. You can buy transit from them and then using community strings turn it into a peering session.

-Matt

** Join us at the WISPA Reception at 6:30 PM on October the 16th 2007 at ISPCON **
** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **
** Use Customer Code WSEMF7 when you register online at http://www.ispcon.com/register.php **

**