Do they want to be able to actually disect packet contents or just connection information? If they don't need contents than anything that stores netflow data will work on the gathering side and your border router should support netflow.

   Sam Tetherow
   Sandhills Wireless

Travis Johnson wrote:
Hi,

I have a large customer that is looking for a device that will log all of their internet traffic in and out of their network. However, unlike Ethereal or anything like that, they need something that is _very_ easy to use (web interface, with full logs so they can go back months at a time). Ideally they want to be able to bring up a webpage and then gradually drill down to find the info they are looking for (like xx.xx.xx.xx went to ebay.com, etc.). They already have content filtering and SPAM protection in place, they just need a traffic logging device.

On the technical side, it would be nice to have a box that would run in promiscuous mode so we could just mirror a port on their switch rather than having it run in-line. We are very technical, so if we need to build a unix box for a free or low-cost application to run, that's no problem. We just haven't been able to find anything that is easy to use for the end user.

thanks,

Travis
Microserv