I hardly think WIMax is a joke.

I agree WiMax is no better substitution than What WISPs are already doing.
I'd rathewr have the higher throughput and lower cost of unlicenced
proprietary gear. But it is no joke.
Expecially not for those few players that do have legitimate Licensed
spectrum.
WiMax in 2.5G sets the reality of clear strong competiton, for unlicensed
WISPs.

I do believe that US Wimax with limited 3.6G spectrum (more or less
unlicensed), really isn't a threat to WISPs, but it is clearly away to add
more spectrum for competition.  What it means is that WISPs that controled
the marketwith first in advantage, now have the potential for more
competition. The trade off is the new entrants will have to pay more for
less as the cost to enter the market. (3.6 less spectrum, WImAx gear more
expensive).  But WISPs that are serious about protecting their position in
the market will likely want to explore 3.6 to its max benefit, beofre their
competitors do.

For example in Rural America, qty 3  5-10Mhz channels is huge.  In Urban
America its hard to risk deployign 360 with 100% of the spectrum. What
happens when interference kills a sector, you are done. But in Rural, the
chance of interference is not nearly as likely.  I think this is what the
Digital Bridges of the world are realizing.
a Small channel is good enough to build a business model on, when going
after second-third tier markets.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband