  From: Travis Johnson
  To: WISPA General List
  Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 8:34 AM
  Subject: Re: [WISPA] Future

  A couple quick things:

  (1) You don't necessarily have them for life. People can change to DISH and a
wireless provider and do VoIP over that. Especially if they can save $5/month,
a lot of people will change. DISH is $35/month for decent programming. Wireless
is another $40/month and VoIP can be had for $20/month.

  (2) It looks good with those numbers, but realistically you have costs way
above just the install. On a $100/month customer how much gross profit do you
actually make after buying bandwidth, transport, TV channels, VoIP service,
etc. I really have no idea, so I am asking. Do you make $20 gross? $1,500 / $20
= 75 months breakeven and this doesn't include support costs, etc.

  Travis
  Microserv

  Chuck McCown wrote:
FTTH ONT pricing (the unit on the house) keeps falling.  They are about $400
now.
You can put in fiber for $1-2/foot (if you have a clear ROW).
The CO end is about $50K/terminal that is capable of serving thousands.
I don't know what the pro-rata single fiber COT card is, but I think they
are are around $2K/port with each port serving 32 on a PON.
So, if the plowing is good and the ROWs are clear and free, you can probably
get a customer installed (in a fairly dense surburban area) for less than
$1500 each.
Triple play for $100/month.  And you have them for life.
Of course this assumes you build it yourself and you already have a NOC and
you already have access to and IPTV stream etc.
But it is doable.  There is a business case for building such a system.
Main thing is to do it before the ILEC/RBOC does it.