From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Tom DeReggi
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 11:33 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Suggestions for Mikrotik Bandwidth Management

I'm not against Mikrotik Software as a core router.

I am however against a MT532 as a core router.
A MT532 is fine as an AP or SU, that manages the subs on it, but for the
core of a WISP, one needs more headroom.
We don't use anything less than a Quad Proc now a days, but then again, we
need to support multi port GB.

But even at low speeds, processor headroom is important. Its important to
have the headroom when you need it.
It cost so little, for the extra processing power.  There becomes huge
differences in throughput based on packet size.
When things get ugly are when you get a DOS attack that has either small
packets 64bytes, or doesn't wait for acks to keep sending.
Its also important to have enough processing for initiating testing
routines, from the device. Or to handle logging, during diagnostic periods.

There may very well be performance benefits of non-intel SBCs that handle
interupts differently than x86, but still don't trust your core on a $150
SBC.
There is to much revenue at risk.

My understandign is MT now has some faster proc rack systems such as their
1000series? Maybe those are better options?

Just my opinion.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband