Hmmm..

What I have been trying to get across here is that since everyone and their
dog is dashing to DC with buckets to beg at the taxpayer's blood draw, we as
an industry could stand out by saying "the broadband industry does not need
bailing out or any federal money".   In fact, we should  be lobbying to end
it.

The whole thing  started at the begining of this where I responded saying
that lobbying to fiddle with defintionss to make federal money available at
the trough was a terrible idea.

Ok, so is there ANY industry NOT attempting to get fedeal money right now?
Ok, you wanna get some attention?   Fine.  Go to DC and say "Hey, you, WE DO
NOT NEED OR WANT YOUR MONEY!   Oh, and yeah, we're a thriving industry with
thousands of financially viable players, accomplsing the goals that the big
guys say can't be done.  However, there ARE things you can do to ensure this
trend bucking industry remains healthy and broadband can be delivered
nationwide... Without wasting taxpayer dollars, without subsidy of the
people showing up asking for money.

And here is what you can do: ..."   I seem to recall there were several
me money" category.

Participate in the NBS, fine.  The qeustion is, will they listen to us?
Maybe.  Probably not.  I  tried to  to explain that standing out from the
crowd is our only likely means of having an impact, and what better way to
stand out, than to show up as an industry trade group opposed to having
Washington spend money.

First, ALL of the special interest groups equate "broadband" with the big
guys.   They do not think in terms of 1, 4, 10 or 20 people companies as
"effective broadband".  Nothing they do will be geared toward our industry.
The new administration will never consider or create any initiative designed
to promote small business.  To them, "small business" doesn't even exist,
they don't even know the phrase.  They think solely in terms of centralized
planning and control.

This why if we're to be effective, what we say and how we say it has to be a
game changer.  It HAS to be bold.  As radical as I am.  Playing the game in
DC will result in use vanishing under the rug.  And if we survive after
that, it'll be a miracle.  What has to be, is that someone has to exhibit a
rare quality known as leadership.  Not a parroting of the boilerplate
"economic benefits of broadband" blather.  They invented that noise, you
think they're impressed when we repeat it back to them?  No, it has to be a
bold, stark contrast to what's being said by everyone else.

Admittedly, it's a "hail mary", but what else do we have?

How would you say this?  What would the message be?

maybe something like this:

We're a small, but very rapidly growing industry, both in numbers served and
in numbers of ventures.  We're not hobbled by the credit crunch, we don't
rely on billions of dollars in loans or the now dried up venture capital
markets.  We don't rely in subsidy or grants or loans, and our business
models work perfectly fine without them.

The FCC has recently allocated spectrum to be available to used, which is
mostly available in the areas not reached by telecoms and cable operators
and now we will shortly have the tools to make ubiquitous broadband a
reality.  However, some things stand in our way.  One is the threat of
regulatory overhead that can decimate small, self capitalized businesses and
tax treatment that taxes our growth.  Another is service mandates that
interfere with the technological basis for delivery, such as some versions
of network neutrality that attempt to prevent certain applications from
overwhelming networks.

Right now, to spur confidence, so that operators and those considering
startup will not pull back from healthy investment in  growth, we, being
thousands of small businesses, need confidence that regulation, tax policy,
or anti-competitive government actions like subsidy or so c alled
partnerships will not sweep the market rug out from under our feet, causing
both business and personal ruin.

Unlike other particpants in other sectors, like automotive and financial, we
have a personal stake in our businesses.  We are dedicated to their success.

There is no downside to these on the part of regulators or Congress, nor to
consumers, who are having to wait for broadband to be deployed in areas that
are financially unattractive to the high capital investment models that
don't work in today's economy, like fiber in rural areas.   Rather than
subsidy or loans, which saddle business with debt, we need cooperative
federal and state policies.  We need the use of public lands for sites that
don't require environmental studies that cost more than our whole
businesses.   We need the ability to use public rights of way and to not
have our trade restrained by local authorities who seek to ban our equipment
deployments, or control how networks operate, with uninformed policies about
equipment operation.
++++++++

Does that stimulate the thought process of how we can use SENSIBLE ideas to
promote entirely workable reasonable governmental policy, that benefit us
and yet does not pit us AGAINST the bigger players?   We honor our duties as
citizens against runamok government and as taxpayers, but we can benefit our
industry?   And it's a timely and prescient sell in our current economic and
political environment?

Our strength today, was our 'weakness' just a year ago.   Our size and how
we organically financie ourselves is now our strength.  Our responsibility
and our personal commitment is now suddely a corporate virtue, sought out,
not ignored.

Seriously, I cannont imagine why at least a dozen of you are not posting
this already.   This is obvious stuff.   This should be our everyday
thought, even our own self view.

Oh, wait.  I forgot.  It's too radical for normal people.

cripes.

<insert witty tagline here>