From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 4:15 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Article

It's a long and quite off topic discussion to hash this out.

But to suggest that "not trusting government" is the equivalent of being an
advocate to anarchy is absurd.

The MOST corrupt and self serving institution in this country is Congress.
After you've figured that out, it begins to make sense why our founding
fathers said that "eternal vigilance is the price of liberty".    It's also
the price of just continuing to exist.

Nowhere, at no time have I advocated anarchy, or anything remotely similar
to it.   But, that's the repeated meme, probably just to squelch the
conversation.   But I have noticed a very serious trend.  It seems that
people mistake a cordial working relationship with "security of ideas or
status quo" in DC.   There's no such thing.   Assurances of future events or

favors or policies is absolutely NOT something you can put any faith in.
Those change like the wind.   Those very people you think might be
influenced to be on your side, are just as likely to write a rule and
enforce it which kills the whole industry, if it can earn them a headline
that makes them look good.

Does that make them "evil".   No, it makes them politicians, operating in
both a political culture and a society that has accepted this behavior as
normal.

To use this pollyanna type of attitude that does anything but recognize the
serious danger that government poses to the welfare of the people is to be
foolish.   What may influence them today, can completely vanish with the
headlines of tomorrow's newspaper, and efforts to influence policymakers or
work out some kind "tit for tat" or quid pro quo can vanish faster than dry
ice in a blast furnace.   We must never allow our future to be dependent
upon the whims of regulators.

What is needed, is to get in writing, to get codified, the means by which we

can exist unmolested, and then after that point, to then seek to convince
them that certian policies can do good and others do not.   My complaint is
that I see nobody defending our ability to exist, while at the same time,
trading on "goodwill" to get favors and money.   That's a terrible mistake,
in my estimation.  A fundamental and near fatal flaw which can do nothing
but harm us in the long run.    The attitudinal change in DC that's about to

occur, is that they not only have the right, but the OBLIGATION to choose
who exists and who does not.   Who wins, who loses, and the primary
motivation is now to take from industry to give to the people in exchange
for votes.  If you don't think that can destroy us, I dunno what you think
can.

Seriously, every industry has descended on Washington DC with their buckets
in hand, lined up behind the spigots.  Our secret here, is not to be an
"also ran" but stand out.  We don't need handouts.  We're citizens first,
taxpayers second, and businesses third.  Be responsible adults, stand out
like a beacon already.   Advocate for industry subsidy and whatnot to END.
Be a voice of reason in today's mad rush to insanity...

Please.

Our nation's future depends on being men and women of character and
integrity and being responsible, and differentiate ourselves from the big
guys with  the big buckets demanding money.   Contrast us to them.  We can.
They can't.  Exploit their wanting money.   If there was EVER a time an
industry could make an impact, by showing up and saying " We're here to
build up the country, don't need subsidies and handouts, and these guys are
advocating for it, we are not, and don't think they should either", this is
it.  "We're here and doing what needs to be done.  We just need some hurdles

cleared" is far more a worthy goal, and likely to stand out, than to be
centered in the policywonking that's aimed at "getting a slice of the pie".

Is this political?   I suppose it is in some way.  But no more or less than
the "argue a position to possibly benefit from loans and grants" that's been

repeated here.

OH, but I forgot.  That's too extreme for "normal" people.

Thank God those "extreme" people had some guts way back when.   I just wish
to honor them and the enduring ideas they left for us.   They're not out of
date yet.

<insert witty tagline here>