I use AMD because they seem to be power efficient more often. Power is
relatively expensive here ($0.15/kwh), so it's a business issue rather
than tree hugging penance.

We've got a mix of old athlons, amd64/opterons, X2's, and now x4 phenoms
for servers. We tend to build them ourselves and keep spare parts on
hand. Standardization lets us rob a testing server or inventory to fix a
broken production server for instance. Nothing wrong with Intel
currently, we just don't want to have too much variety if it interferes
with our ability to have the right mix of spare parts.

We buy power supplies at a local computer shop, as they seem to have a
better knack for what's reliable quality in that market. Other parts we
mostly order online at places like newegg. Seagate drives, nvidia based
video if it's not onboard, RTL-8169 based ethernet is preferred.

For laptops, I like the intel atom based netbooks. We've got two Aspire
One laptops which are really nice. I also have a EEEpc 2g, which is
good except the keyboard is too small for me. Other people with bigger
EEEpc like them more. The atom based motherboards starting to become
available might make nice router systems in the near future.

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 07:17:25AM -0800, Marlon K. Schafer wrote:
> Got it.  So what are the medium to good ones to watch for?
>
> I used to really like AMD but I'm hearing that they suck.  At least that's
> what one thought over on the isp-ceo list.
>
> We used to tell people to get Gateway systems.  Then we went Micron, then
> Micro Flex, now Dell.  Once in a while I'd build one for myself, but who
> wants to deal with warranty work when PC's aren't your core business?
>
> Service is usually the main thing that I look at when suggesting a PC to
> someone.  *I* don't want to be the one that has to help them with all of the
> questions that come up.
>
> What are you guys suggesting and using these days?
>
> thanks,
> marlon

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/