----- Original Message -----
From: <rea...@muddyfrogwater.us>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 8:40 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] what to ask for at NTIA and RUS

> Some simple rules to move things in your direction...
>
> 1.  limit the size of loans or grants - nothing over, say, 300K.   No
> multi
> million dollar "get some guy real rich" schemes.
> 2.  Limit the areas allowed to be "paid for", in other words, only so many
> dollars per square mile.
> 3.  Require local presence in area covered.   Nobody from Odessa getting
> money for Pendleton...

Hey!  You just lost me!!!!  roflol

> 4.  Allow dollars to be used for customer end, not just infrastructure or
> truck or something.

To really complete a project, we'll need both....

> I disagree with 'no startups' as there's a lot of area that simply has to
> be
> a venture of its own.

The problem is that pesky little 95% failure rate for new businesses.  The
goal here is to use government money to create jobs.  Hopefully long term
jobs.

> No "community access" or "community centers".   Those things are absurd.
> Like, does Odessa really need an internet cafe?   What about Lind?

Righto.  Everyone here that wants a computer has one, or has access to one
at work.  OK, I know of ONE gal that has neither, but that's only cause she
got a "little carried away" at work....  She's finally going to get her own
though!

The Library already has computers for the public.  They get used, or so I'm
told.  Seems there's never anyone using them when I go to the library (and I
do go there from time to time).

marlon