We have the ring configuration with licensed links running OSPF
without backups on the individual links.  We spec our links to be as
close to 99.999% at full modulation as possible.  We continue to try
to create loops in the network.  For example, if you have a high-end
commercial customer, sell them a backup link to another tower as part
of the package.  You've now created another link between towers and
added another loop to your network.