Definitely from freezing as it comes from the inside out.
If it were mine, I would figure out a way to get it down with the gear
on it and put up a new one.
At 40' there are lots of sign and rigging companies with a crane that
could pick it up off the base and lower it so you can get the gear off
before it hits the ground.

--
Scott Reed
Sr. Systems Engineer