Ok, so, two weeks ago, after having stood for 4.5 years, through 2, and I
mean TWO "century" wind storms, my generator tower failed on a very normal
normal windy spring day.

We took it the rest of the way down, cut it apart, looking for the cause of
failure.

And found none.   No rust, no breaks, no corrosion,  nothing.

And found while it was down, that the generator windings and electronics had
burnt themselves up, as well.

A real head scratcher.    All the "obvious" stuff ain't there.

All we can think of is that there was some very localized freak conditions
that did what the storm a year and a half ago could not do.    The storm
then was so strong that about 1/3 of all homes suffered significant roof
damage.  Fields migrated across roads.   RV's tipped over.  parked Semis
tipped over.  metal buildings exploded.   Wind velocities at the normal
stations set records.   individual weather stations recorded high hurricane
velocities.

But our tower didn't bend or even show damage.

But two weeks ago, where we had predicted "gusts" to 35 or 40 mph, caused it
to fold.    We had changed the blades on it a couple weeks before, on the
advice of the maker of the generator.   They insisted that wind loading was
within 1% of the original.

So, we're re engineering it and back up it goes when the generator gets back
from the maker (who is rebuilding it under warranty).

I love a mystery.    NOT.

<insert witty tagline here>